In 2003 the church adopted the following statements expressing its Vision and Mission. These guide us in setting our goals and priorities, notably our evolving Ends Policies.
We strive to be a vibrant church community that challenges individuals to craft their own spiritual journeys and to engage in creative and responsible action in the world.
Ours is a loving, supportive, prophetic, and joyful community. We welcome people of all ages, races, backgrounds, lifestyles, and viewpoints.
We build on the wisdom of tradition, but are never satisfied that any practice, belief, or institution is set for all time.
We challenge every individual and our larger community to cultural, intellectual and spiritual growth, honoring the creative tension between tradition and change, intellect and spirit, individual and community, science and faith, as the crucible for testing and refining beliefs.
Acting on these ideals, we:
- Worship, learn, lead, and play.
- Maintain FSC as a beacon for liberal religion and a haven for discussion and action regardless of controversy.
- Build on our tradition of nurture and appreciation for the artistic, cultural, and intellectual fruits of the human mind and hand.
- Serve and enhance the church community by financial support and sharing our talents in an open and democratic structure.
- Bring social justice and compassionate support to the larger community and the world.