Character School at FSC
Character School is the name adopted by Fountain Street Church’s Sunday school programming during the 1950’s when it engaged in a then ground-breaking practice of Character Education. The exact practice has evolved but the name has endured and it’s still pertinent to much of what we do here – aiming not to save souls, but to shape them and to provide opportunities for learners of all ages to explore issues of depth and meaning to them.
Like our other learning ministries, we are particularly interested in fostering religious literacy (facts and concepts about religion), spiritual fluency and engagement (spiritual practices and disciplines such as prayer, meditation, and movement), and moral competence (how to make difficult decisions based on your religious convictions).
Character School News!
The Character School format changes a little during the Advent Season. Each Sunday, the children will start in the 11:00 a.m. Worship Service to observe the lighting of the Advent candle. On December 22nd, all families are invited to spend the entire time together in the Sanctuary to enjoy a wonderful musical Service. There will not be Character School on December 29th, Nursery only. We will see you all back at FSC on January 5th for regular programming!
December 8th is our Shoeboxes for Shelters Social Action Project. The children and their adult helpers will put together gift shoeboxes, wrap them, and donate these lovely boxes to Family Promise. They in turn will present them to homeless families who might not receive any other gifts. For the last couple of years, the Project was a great success and our FSC children wanted to participate! Feel free to donate items from the Wish List.
Christmas Pageant Rehearsals are on December 15th, immediately following the 11:00 a.m. Worship Service. The Dress Rehearsal with dinner is on December 18th, from 5:30-8:00 p.m. The Pageant is part of the 5:00 p.m. Service on December 24th.
All Sundays in December allow us to engage in some wonderful mediations and contemplative explorations of the Christmas Story characters. The children have an opportunity to investigate Mary and Joseph and the Angels and Shepherds. We will hear stories and make ornaments, plus enjoy some special rituals on breaking bread together. We hope to provide a calm presence on Sunday mornings during this busy holiday time.
We have another full month ahead - let's dive in, it is great to be alive! Thank you for bringing your children to the Character School. They certainly are Freeing their Minds, Growing their Souls, and Changing the World!
Click HERE for a detailed list of events.
Click HERE for the 2012-2013 curriculum.
Our Character School is a wonderful, exciting, and interesting place to be...come join us! For a list of our Character School volunteer opportunities, please click HERE.
A BIG thank you goes out to all of our long-term Classroom Leaders, who provide so much stability and community in our rooms right now. The children appreciate having a consistent Leader, and we would love to repeat this experience next year too. We invite you to think about this possibility. Can you imagine yourself broadening your spiritual journey while working with the same group of children? It is a very rewarding adventure to help our Character School kids form a cohesive community and foster friendships.
We would like to invite all congregants to come and join us! The children love to see your talents. Do you like to sing? Dance? Read stories? Build things? We would enjoy your company!
Character School at FSC
What is the schedule like on a regular Sunday?
- Families come to FSC around 9:25 a.m. if they are participating in Junior Choir.
- They might come around 9:40 a.m. if they are part of the E-Worship Service or if they are in 7th or 8th Grades.
- Or they come around 10:45 a.m. for the start of the Character School.
11:00 a.m. Character School:
- We ask that adults sign their children in and out of their respective classrooms.
- After children enter the room, they will be greeted by the Classroom Leaders and encouraged to participate in free play with their friends.
- A short while later, the children and Leaders gather in the circle to light the candle, say the opening prayer, and conduct Roses & Thorns, (our way of sharing the good and bad stuff of the week).
- The topic of the day will be introduced at that time, and for the older children, often a discussion will follow; whereas the younger children will dive into the investigation right away.
- Many of our explorations are hands-on. We might take a cook, tour, build, decorate, or act out various topics.
- At some point, the children will receive a small snack and discuss the findings of the day during the closing circle.
What do you teach the children?
Check out the links on the right side of this page for various ages.
Places for Children & Youth:
Room 203 - Childcare
Choir Room - Jr. Choir
Choir Room - Cherub Choir
Room 405 - Tower Club
Room 205 - Fountain Club
Room 206 - Nursery
Room 201 - 3 year olds
Room 203 - Pre-K
Room 204 - Kindergarten
Room 305 - 1st Grade
Room 304 - 2nd Grade
Room 303 - 3rd Grade
Room 404 - 4th Grade
Room 403 - 5th/6th Grades